Working in coalition means planning ahead for how we will show up for each other.
–Dr. Mindy Fullilove
In 2021, Cambodian Association of Greater Philadelphia, Friends of Mifflin Square Park, Karen Community of Philadelphia, Garces Foundation, SEAMAAC, and Greater Philadelphia Community Alliance worked with residents, Registered Community Organizations, and government agencies to create Our Plan for Our Neighborhood: Community Plan for South East Philadelphia between 4th and 9th Streets, Mifflin Street to Oregon Avenue.
Our Coalition uses this plan to (1) keep organizations coordinated, (2) inform and organize residents, (3) show government, investors, new residents and others what we want; and (4) Attract funding and support.
Together we have already:
- Distributed 7500 brochures about the planning process & how to get connected in 6 languages door to door, mailed to all block captains, and through libraries
- Created a 20 minute video neighborhood plan conversation starter in English, Spanish & Khmer
- Organized 6 Neighborhood Conversations hosted by individual organizations for residents and published the discussion notes
- Conducted 6 multi–hour conversations among ourselves & the wider Organizational Steering Committee of RCOs and government agencies
- Completed a resident satisfaction survey with nearly 400 residents
We’re close to completing our planning process for now, and want to get all residents and groups aware and involved! Here’s how you can help get that done:
- Pick up and share a neighborhood newspaper!
This 24–page newspaper includes information and neighborhood goals for all areas of the community plan in English, Spanish, Khmer, Burmese, Nepali, and Chinese.
Find copies of Our Plan for Our Neighborhood newspaper at your favorite South 7th Street business, or request a copy by email or calling (267) 536 9846. You can also see and download a digital version.
2. Read the Community Plan booklet & watch a presentation by coalition groups
The neighborhood plan booklet includes even more detail than the neighborhood newspaper on our analysis of existing conditions, notes from Neighborhood Conversations, and our coalition’s future goals.
Watch a Neighborhood Plan Update originally broadcast on July 19, 2022 from community organizations including Cambodian Association of Greater Philadelphia, Friends of Mifflin Square Park, Greater Philadelphia Community Alliance, and SEAMAAC.